I love experimenting with herbs and essential oils in my beauty routine and beyond, so I’m always game to learn about a friend or colleague’s own creations. Debbie Leavitt of eco nail polish line Sheswai Beauty is a friend of mine and my go-to nail guru; she recently told me about a body oil she creates using fresh herbs, essential oils, and coconut oil that I knew I had to try—and share here.
Debbie uses fractionated coconut oil in her recipe, which is rich in deeply nourishing medium-chain fatty acids. The herbs and oils she blends in, meanwhile, include mugwort, which reduces inflammation, sage, which is antibacterial and fights aging, and yarrow oil, which improves circulation. Everything serves a purpose, in other words, and comes straight from the earth too. Get the full ingredient list and instructions from Debbie herself below. Enjoy! XXJKE
- Combine 2oz fractionated coconut oil and assorted fresh or dried herbs in a jar. For this serum we recommend mugwort, sage, rose, borage, and lavender.
- Stir gently to release any air. Add additional oil if needed so that the plant matter is completely covered.
- Cover tightly and let the mixture infuse for one full lunar cycle (one month). A little shake and swirl of the jar every few days is a good practice.
- Pour all of the oils into bowl or jar and hand whisk gently to blend.
- Whisk in the essential oils. When the scent feels right for you, pour the mixture into an airtight glass bottle close tightly.
- Shake gently to blend before each use as aloe may settle. This blend keeps nicely in the refrigerator to soothe and refresh tired skin.
Photo: Jen Kay
Elissa Goodman is a Los Angeles-based holistic nutritionist and lifestyle cleanse expert, and one of
Kristen Cassie of Moon Canyon is back with a January installment of our floral encyclopedia. This lu
When we think of alpine luxury, Arrowhead immediately comes to mind. Drive a couple hours east of Lo
Leanne Citrone is no stranger to Jenni Kayne or Rip & Tan. Andy LeCompte, the salon she co-owns,