It’s the beginning of a new year, and the end of the festive season, which means you may be thinking about how to reset your health and form better, more nourishing habits. I know I am! I love to try new healthful recipes and wellness rituals, and one that I’ve really made a permanent part of my routine is starting every day with fresh celery juice. Holistic nutritionist Elissa Goodman recommended it to me, and I noticed a difference in the way I felt almost immediately—plus, it happens to be refreshing and delicious! I asked Elissa to share a little bit about the benefits of celery juice, should you be looking for a new morning pick-me-up. XXJKE
We all know that an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but why have there never been any well-worn proverbs written about celery juice, and its innumerable health benefits? Celery has been around for a long time—the Romans were using its seeds for medicinal purposes as far back as 30 AD.
Do you think they knew celery is an anti-inflammatory, has the ability to help fight cancer, hydrate the body, stave off sugar cravings, and lower blood pressure?
In the mainstream, celery has long been considered filler food—something you throw into stews and out of your Bloody Marys. I am here to encourage you to pay this superfood the respect it deserves, specifically, its juice. Just 16 oz. a day of celery juice can drastically improve your health. Trust me. More importantly, trust your gut.
Gut health is the cornerstone of wellness. It affects everything from mental health and mood, to cancer and disease prevention. We all know how uncomfortable and awful it can be to not have our gut health in check. Whether it is gastritis, acid reflux, bloating, IBS, GI infections, or general discomfort, nothing is fun about gut issues. Drinking a daily celery juice, which contains unique mineral salts that are bonded with many bioactive trace minerals and nutrients, just might be the best thing you can do to see gut-busting results. But there are more benefits beyond the belly:
• Celery has a calming effect on the nervous system and happens to be an amazing blood purifier and eliminator of toxins from the body, serving dual purposes—nervous system support and detoxification
• Research suggests that celery improves liver health, which can increase your body’s own detoxification capacities long term
• Celery juice in the morning will strengthen your ability to digest everything you eat
• In time, the minerals and mineral salts will help to restore your stomach’s HCL, which is crucial for fully breaking down your food and absorbing important nutrients
You should see and feel results in as little as seven days after starting your celery juice habit, but the protocol can continue for as long as you’d like. If you’re really not feeling well, you may want to start slowly with 6-8 ounces and build up to 16 ounces from there.
My celery juice prescription has been working small wonders for clients and friends, with many noticing differences in digestion and gut health in as little as 4 to 5 days into the routine. I never cease to be amazed by the healing wonders of whole foods!
- Clean 1 bunch thoroughly and juice fresh daily (important that it is juiced fresh and consumed immediately). One small bunch of celery is equal to about 16 ounces juiced.
- Drink 16 oz. of the fresh celery juice on an empty stomach (important) as soon as you wake up.
- Repeat for two weeks, noting how you feel from day to day.
- Continue as desired.
Photo: Jen Kay
My summer collection is inspired by camping and nature and as such, we’re carrying a host of new h
Up today in our Celebrating Motherhood series is one of the wonderful photographers we work with, Ni
Today’s floral arrangement was crafted by Ashley Beyer of Tinge Floral in Salt Lake City who loade
Allison Oswald is a physical therapist who works with women to align, strengthen, and restore their